gfxgfxQuArK Forumsgfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
QuArK logo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:08:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
QuArK 6.6.0 Beta 6 is out! Get it from the download page!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help with "gfx/palette.lmp" error!  (Read 3441 times)
Chip

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.

« on: December 16, 2010, 07:35:28 AM »

I use QuArK for Quake 1 mapping. I have changed "id1" directory to "gamedata". I now receive an error in the 3D view and when trying to build the map with "QuArK needs the 'gfx.palette.lmp' from Quake 1 and could not find it".

I have opened all .qrk files and commented out the gfx/palette.lmp lines (it's an obsolete requirement anyway).
I have changed all occurrences of "id1" with "gamedata" in all .qrk files.

Still the same error.

I am not using any of the Quake 1 textures, I created my own .qrk pack, and I import TGA textures. I have deleted the palette.lmp file and I need to keep the "gamedata" name instead of "id1". What can I do now?

EDIT: This is really bugging me. I have commented out these lines:

Code:
//      Palette = "gfx/palette.lmp"
//      Gradient = "gfx/colormap.lmp"

in Setup.qrk and now I see a black window in 3D. I will use the wireframe, which allows me to continue working on the map. I can build the map, so... phew, I did it.

I'd still like to eliminate the need for that lump file which is really unnecessary.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:06:16 AM by Chip » Logged

cdunde
Global Moderator

Keep your QuArK knife sharp!

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 11:28:31 AM »

I believe those files are called in the source code for your QuArK.exe.
Did you try making a gfx folder in your game folder and copy those files into that folder.
Then you should be able to import\copy your tga texture files into the Texture Browser and use those instead...I'm guessing. Roll Eyes

HTH,

cdunde
Chip

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »

I believe those files are called in the source code for your QuArK.exe.
Did you try making a gfx folder in your game folder and copy those files into that folder.
Then you should be able to import\copy your tga texture files into the Texture Browser and use those instead...I'm guessing. Roll Eyes

You're guessing, yeah  Wink

I already have a /gfx/ folder in my /gamedata/ folder. My textures, though, reside in /textures/ folder and they work just fine in Quake. The only trouble I have now is I can't see textures for the 3D view. No worries, I can handle it, because I run Quake windowed and it's easy for me to just restart the map to see the changes.

Prior to comment out the .lmp lines, I tried several other map editors, such as Worldcraft/Qadapter, Qoole, Tread, BSP Quake Editor. They all have hardcoded settings for Quake, such as the .lmp files, the "id1" directory and more (wads, pcx).

I need this settings (we all need this settings) inside an .ini/.xml document easily editable from inside the software, or for the savvy enough, right inside the .ini/.xml (even .txt) document.

Quake evolved and .lmp, .pcx, .wad, "id1" directory are deprecated. Make 7 more flexible. I'm keeping an eye on you!

Thank you.

DanielPharos
Global Moderator

Dancing Dan

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 02:28:06 PM »

(I recently un-hardcoded all the texture paths, and put them in the Defaults.qrk file, but I can't remember if this was in the Beta 3 release already... But yeah, we'll make sure to make 7 more dynamic in that respect.)
cdunde
Global Moderator

Keep your QuArK knife sharp!

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 07:13:46 PM »

Having those files in your gfx folder would only stop the error message.

Try selecting one of your map polys in a 2D view and see if it also shows up (outlined with face handles) in your editor 3D view.
If so then copy one of your .tga textures into your Texture Browser and apply it to that poly....does it then display in your 3D view?

HTH,

cdunde
Chip

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 02:32:43 AM »

Having those files in your gfx folder would only stop the error message.

Try selecting one of your map polys in a 2D view and see if it also shows up (outlined with face handles) in your editor 3D view.
If so then copy one of your .tga textures into your Texture Browser and apply it to that poly....does it then display in your 3D view?

HTH,

cdunde

Nope, nothing, no texture. The face handles show up just fine. But, hey, I see wireframe in 3D and it's fine for me. So, I'd say this issue is solved.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: