gfxgfxQuArK Forumsgfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
QuArK logo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 09:30:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
QuArK 6.6.0 Beta 6 is out! Get it from the download page!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Science with Quark  (Read 2270 times)
fcollman

Email
« on: October 21, 2009, 07:48:51 PM »

Since I'm not sure who to send this to specifically, i thought i'd just post a general note on the forums here.

I'm a graduate student at Princeton university, and I'd like to thank the general quark community for all the work they have put into this project, as it has been a large help in the research my laboratory is conducting.  Last week we published a paper on using Quake 2 as the basis for a virtual reality system for mice, and we designed all of our experiments using Quark.  You can read a popular summary of the research on Wired (http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/10/mouse-virtual-reality/) or the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8308537.stm).  Note the video is not really the experiment in the paper, and you should not be convinced the mouse in navigating based solely on that video.. its mostly just to give people a sense of what the setup is and how it works.  The paper has much more convincing data than shown there.

I can't underestimate the time and effort Quark saved us in the process.  We have many people in the lab, with a wide range of programming abilities, but everyone is able to learn the basics of how Quark words and design their own custom experiments in a matter of weeks without much training.  In fact, the environment used most extensively used in the paper was conceived over lunch, and implemented that same afternoon. A testament to how easy Quark is to use.

Its also been great to customize.. and not just with the god awful ugly high contrast textures we like to use on our walls.  I swear we are not trying to make the environments ugly, its just high contrast is easier for mice to see, but with lots of extra options we want to apply to triggers and such.  

Open source software has been an incredible boon to our scientific pursuits, and I'd like to thank everyone in the community that has contributed to this effort.  I hope you are pleasantly surprised to find out your efforts have lead to something beyond video games.  

-Forrest Collman
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:31:00 AM by DanielPharos » Logged
DanielPharos
Global Moderator

Dancing Dan

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 01:35:28 AM »

Oh... my... God... That's so cool! (Both the research, and the fact you used QuArK for it.) Thanks for taking the trouble of making us aware of this!

(PS Sorry for editing your post: your second link was broken.)
kold
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 04:45:11 AM »

That's pretty cool fcollman! Quite interesting.

Unfortunately there's mappers out there, that make mazes for us to run through too ;)
cdunde
Global Moderator

Keep your QuArK knife sharp!

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 09:41:41 AM »

Unfortunately there's mappers out there, that make mazes for us to run through too Wink
OH-oh !  Shocked  What are you saying  Huh I know exactly how that mouse feels  Roll Eyes

Thank you very much for posting that acknowledgement Forrest !  Wink
That sounds very exciting and it's nice to know that our work has contributed in some small way.

Now if they could only transfer our own memory data in our conscience and sub-conscience
to a mega-gigabyte DVD device, spawn, clone, our body from our DNA cells and
reintroduce that data to our new body's brain... Tongue
We would truly achieve Immortality !  Shocked

(Not making fun of your research work, Great job there!)

cdunde
NoBull

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 07:50:15 PM »

Hello everyone! I was browsing the interwebs and found you guys. I think I clicked on this story off the main page or something?

Video Games? Real Science? You Know that'll catch some attention.

Cool stuff you guys! I read the Wired Article and watched the vid of the little mouse lol. Very cool stuff though. Keep it up on all fronts!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: