gfxgfxQuArK Forumsgfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
QuArK logo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:31:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Need help? Don't forget to check QuArK's documentation first! You can find it here!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Quake bsp files  (Read 2383 times)
Hardkore [cp]

S
« on: February 04, 2009, 07:16:51 PM »

I cant get my bsp files to work with quark.  It dont show up on the list of programs when you right click and select open with.  It dont seem to work when i it in the configuration setting for bsp.  Do i need to install it in a certin place?  Can you tell me if im doing something wrong?

DanielPharos
Global Moderator

Dancing Dan

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 02:34:59 AM »

You mean QuArK doesn't associate with .bsp-files?

I'll look into it. But you should be able to browse for QuArK in that window Windows pops up, and say 'Always use this program to open files of this type'. That should work.
Dolf

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 06:49:41 AM »

I cant get my bsp files to work with quark.  It dont show up on the list of programs when you right click and select open with.  It dont seem to work when i it in the configuration setting for bsp.  Do i need to install it in a certin place?  Can you tell me if im doing something wrong?
I don't have that option either on right mouse click (never have had), but i have done what Dancing Dan said ("But you should be able to browse for QuArK in that window Windows pops up, and say 'Always use this program to open files of this type'.") that works for me Tongue same thing with many files, like my computer didn't recognize GP3 and GP4 files, but only the newest GP5 (Guitar Pro, a guitar-learning program for computer). It is common, as some programs don't have that kind of option set.
     Sorry if this text seems weird, i just drunk one energy drink + six energy pills mixed (one drink or three pills is the recommendation) Cheesy my heart pumps twice as fast as usually and i am high, like in clouds ^^... but that doesn't change my *little* knowledge of QuArK, i use it for a few hours on my Windows 95, the old junk that i have in my room... And again off-topic text, but i have a reason... I was a regular visitor on this site and using QuArK before forums were updated and i played Quake 24/7 (actually, 1/24/7 Grin).
P.S you can always importa map or open due QuArK client.

If I were a rich man, yubbi dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum...
Hardkore [cp]

S
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 03:01:02 PM »

What i had to do was copy my backup of quake files that had quark 5.7 onto my hard drive.  I then had to installl the 6.6.2 and then associate it using the old quark then just copy and overwtite the old quark files with the new ones.  It seems to be working fine now. 

Dolf

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 04:08:47 AM »

What i had to do was copy my backup of quake files that had quark 5.7 onto my hard drive.  I then had to installl the 6.6.2 and then associate it using the old quark then just copy and overwtite the old quark files with the new ones.  It seems to be working fine now. 
Good you got it working. Too many people can't take the initiative and wait for others to collide with the same problem (i once included myself to that group). We need people like you Wink

If I were a rich man, yubbi dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum...
DanielPharos
Global Moderator

Dancing Dan

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 05:32:25 AM »

And I promise I'll have it fixed in the next release. Wink
Hardkore [cp]

S
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 11:40:40 PM »

Crap

My fix stoped working.  You would not happen to have the installer for 6.6.1 would you. 

DanielPharos
Global Moderator

Dancing Dan

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 05:34:47 AM »

QuArK 6.6.0 Beta 1 is still available on our SourceForge page:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1181&package_id=1175

The association works fine for me, though. I'll plow through that code a bit (I noticed other crap going on), but are you sure it's not something with your Windows permissions or something like that?

Although QuArK does refresh file associations when it starts up. So if 6.6.0 Beta 2 corrupts them, it would do so every startup...
Hardkore [cp]

S
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 05:34:10 PM »

I have to go threw and re associate it every time i start up and then restart the computer but then it only last maybe 2 days.  I dont know what it is.  Its good now but if the trend keeps up, it will stop working in 2 days.  Is there a way to disable the update check?  Let me see if that helps. 

DanielPharos
Global Moderator

Dancing Dan

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 01:33:12 AM »

Yep, in QuArK's configuration there's an Update-section now.

I don't think the updater is wrecking the file associations, but since I don't know what is, do try.

(Are you sure it's not software like Spybot or Adaware that's blocking QuArK from making changes to the registry properly?)
Hardkore [cp]

S
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 02:22:51 PM »

Well

I unstalled .2 and installed .1 again and it all works fine. 

.1 shows up in the list of installed programs also.  I'm now able to open tga files.  Thats helpful because quakeworld writes screenshots in tga format. 

It just seems like its something in .2 that dont work for me. 

DanielPharos
Global Moderator

Dancing Dan

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 01:05:07 PM »

OK, I found a bug that I (Roll Eyes) introduced in Beta 2 that would mess up the file associations. I've corrected it; it should now work again in the next release. Let me know after that's released.

Are you sure you don't have another program that's hijacking the .bsp association? I know HL2 for example likes to do that sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 01:21:01 PM by DanielPharos » Logged
Hardkore [cp]

S
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 02:18:56 PM »

Nope.  Quark is the only program I got to open bsp files. 

DanielPharos
Global Moderator

Dancing Dan

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 02:20:06 AM »

Well, if it's still happening (or if you're willing to do some experimentation), when QuArK 'lost' its association, open the Registry Editor (start --> Run --> regedit.exe) and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT --> .bsp  That should read QuArK_bsp_file. Then check out the QuArK_bsp_file 'folder' down below, and make sure its shell --> open --> command is pointing to the QuArK executable. There is a bug in 6.6.0b2 (that I now fixed) that doesn't update this value properly, so maybe it's pointing to an older location of QuArK.

I just don't understand how QuArK can 'lose' its associations after a few days... QuArK itself doesn't just reset file associations on its own, I hope. Huh
Hardkore [cp]

S
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 04:10:40 AM »

Hmm

I has to be on my end.  My PC dont reconize quark as being an installed program with 662.  I did look there and it does point to quark.  It points to .1 because after several days of trying to get .2 to work, I reinstalled .1.

I do look forward to your new release.  I cant wait to see what it does. 

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: